Office location: 2113
Phone number: 217-244-5243
Jung Min Park received his PhD in Social Welfare from the University of Pennsylvania. He joined the School of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2005. He is also affiliated with the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, and the Children and Family Research Center at the University of Illinois.
Research and Practice Interests
Dr. Park’s areas of interest include homeless assistance policies and service delivery, children’s health and social services, social determinants of health and healthcare, health disparities, and integration of service systems and coordination of care.
Dr. Park’s current and recent research projects include:
- Homelessness, parenting, child development and mental health, U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration. R40MC21508.
- The effect of housing instability and housing assistance on children’s health outcomes in 20 American cities, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- Health service utilization among homeless and low-income housed children and families, NIH/NICHD, 1R03HD055293-01A1.
- Impact of a permanent housing model on healthcare and cross-sector outcomes for homeless families and children with intensive service needs.
- Developing and improving discharge planning for homeless and at-risk patients.
- Psychiatric crisis and child welfare outcomes among children and youth in state custody, The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
Park, J. M., Fertig, A., & Allison, P. (in press) “Physical and mental health, and cognitive development of homeless, doubled-up, and other low-income young children in 20 American cities.” American Journal of Public Health.
Park, J. M., Fertig, A., & Metraux, S. (in press). “Changes in maternal health and health behaviors as a function of homelessness.” Social Service Review.
Park, J. M., Metraux, S., Culhane, D., & Mandell, D. S. (in press). “Homelessness and children’s use of mental health services: A population-based study.” Children and Youth Services Review.
Park, J. M., & Helton, J. (2010) “Transitioning from informal to formal substitute care following maltreatment investigation.” Children and Youth Services Review, 32, 998-1003.
Park, J. M., Metraux, S., & Culhane, D. P. (2010). “Behavioral health services use among heads of homeless and housed poor families.” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 21, 582-590.
Park, J. M., Mandell, D. & Lyons, J. S. (2009). “Rates and associated factors for recurrent psychiatric crisis among children and adolescents in state custody.” Children and Youth Services Review, 31, 1025-1029.
Park, J. M., Jordan, N., Epstein, R., Mandell, D. S., & Lyons, J. S. (2009). “Predictors of residential placement following a psychiatric crisis among children and youth in state custody.” American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 79(2), 228-235.
Park, J. M., & Ryan, J. P. (2009) “Placement and permanency outcomes for children in out-of-home care by prior inpatient mental health treatment.” Research on Social Work Practice, 19, 42-51.